- Installation Over the Range Instructions Microwave Oven Read these instructions completely and carefully. IMPORTANT – Save these instructions for local inspector’s use. IMPORTANT – Observe all governing codes and ordinances. Note to Installer – Be sure to leave these instructions with the Consumer. BEFORE YOU BEGIN.
- Local codes and the manufacturer's directions will indicate how far above the range top the OTR microwave oven needs to be. The typical recommendation is to have 30 inches from the top of the range to the bottom of the cabinet and at least 13-1/2 inches from the top of the range to the bottom of the microwave.
- Free Installation On Over The Range Microwaves Installation
- Sears Microwaves Over Range
- Free Installation Over The Range Microwave
- Free Installation On Over The Range Microwaves Without
If you want to help support Shannon to produce more videos like this, visit from https://www.house-improveme.
$100 – $300 Over-the-range install (labor only)
$220 – $580 Built-in install (labor only)
$220 – $580 Built-in install (labor only)
Over-the-range microwave installation costs $100 to $300. Custom built-in microwave oven installation costs $220 to $580. Adding an electrical outlet, cabinetry, or vents costs $150 to $600 more on average. A handyman or electrician charges $50 to $100 per hour for labor. A new microwave costs $100 to $600.
Get free estimates from appliance installers near you or view our cost guide below.
Microwave installation cost
Microwave installation costs $100 to $400 on average. Over-the-range microwave installation costs $100 to $300 for a standard replacement. The average cost of built-in microwave installation is $220 to $580. A handyman or electrician charges $50 to $100 per hour for labor. A new microwave costs$100 to $600.
|National average cost||$150|
*Based on 321 project costs reported by HomeGuide members.
- Installing a microwave takes 1 to 3 hours on average.
- Old kitchens likely require upgrading electricals and bringing the microwave connections up to building codes.
- Microwave installation cost by type
- Cost factors to install a microwave
- Who can install a microwave? And for how much?
- Frequently asked questions
Microwave installation cost by type
Microwave installation cost depends on the unit’s location and the type of connections required. New electrical outlets, venting, and cabinet modifications increase labor costs.
|Countertop||$0 – $80|
|Below cabinets||$50 – $150|
|Over-the-range||$100 – $300|
|Built-in||$220 – $580|
*Installation labor prices only.
Over-the-range microwave installation cost
An over-the-range microwave installation costs $100 to $300 for a standard replacement or $200 to $600+ to also replace the range hood and add new venting ducts. Prices don't include materials, and extra costs apply for electrical outlet installation or cabinet modifications.
|Vent type||Install cost||Details|
|Replace non-vented (ductless) microwave||$100 – $150|
|Replace vented microwave & connect to existing ductwork||$150 – $300|
|Replace range hood with a microwave & connect to existing ductwork||$200 – $400|
|Replace microwave & add new venting ducts in wall or ceiling||$300 – $600+|
*Installation labor prices only.
- Old kitchens likely require upgrading electricals for a new over-the-range microwave.
- Over-the-range microwaves have recirculating/ductless vents or connect to kitchen ductwork to adhere to building codes.
- An over-the-stove microwave replaces the range hood to eliminate steam, odors, and smoke from stovetop cooking.
Built-in microwave oven installation cost
Built-in microwave installation costs $220 to $580 for drawer microwaves or units with custom-framed trim-kits. Carpenters charge an additional $40 to $80 per hour to modify the cabinet opening to meet the microwave's specifications before installation.
- Trim-kit flush installation – $100 to $300* in labor + $120 to $280 for materials depending on the microwave manufacturer brand
- Drawer microwaves installation – $255 to $425 for cabinet preparation and installation labor
Cost factors to install a microwave
Additional costs may apply for electrical work, cabinet modifications, permits, and ductwork. The cheapest installations are for replacing microwaves with recirculating (ductless) vents.
|New microwave||$100 – $600|
|Replacing old electrical outlet||$65 – $150|
|New electrical outlet||$150 – $350|
|Upgrading electrical panel||$800 – $2,000+|
|Mounting kit||$20 – $50|
|Modifying cabinets||$400 – $500 per cabinet|
|Adding new cabinets||$500 – $1,500 per linear foot|
|New venting ductwork||$150 – $600|
|Old microwave disposal||$20 – $50 each|
A new microwave costs$100 to $600 on average, depending on the type, size, watts, features, and brand.
|Countertop||$50 – $500|
|Over-the-range||$150 – $600|
|Built-in||$400 – $2,000|
|Drawer||$1,000 – $1,400|
|Convection||$180 – $800|
|Combo oven||$2,500 – $3,500|
*Microwave only. Not including installation.
Labor cost per hour to install a microwave
The average labor cost to install a microwave is $50 to $100 per hour. Handyman prices are $50 to $80 per hour for basic replacements. A cabinet installer must also do prep work for custom built-in models. Complex electrical work requires a professional electrician.
|Installer||Average cost per hour|
|Professional installer||$50 – $100|
|Handyman||$50 – $80|
|Electrician||$40 – $100|
|Cabinet installer||$40 – $80|
*Most installs take 1 to 3 hours.
A microwave mounting kit costs $20 to $50 on average. However, not all microwaves are mountable anywhere. Contractors can mount some countertop microwaves if there’s enough ventilation space, electrical outlets, custom mounting brackets or plates, and a wall with structural support.
Electrical outlet and wiring costs for new microwaves
- Installing a new electrical outlet costs $150 to $350 on average.
- Rewiring and electrical panel upgrades cost$800 to $2,000 to bring old wiring up to code or supply more power.
- Hiring an electrician costs$40 to $100 hourly for additional work.
|Job type||Average cost|
|Repairing or replacing outlets||$65 – $150|
|Installing new outlet where none existed||$150 – $350|
|Electrical panel upgrades & wiring||$800 – $2,000+|
|Electrical permit||$50 – $350|
|Electrician’s hourly rate||$40 – $100 per hour|
Electricity precautions for microwaves:
- For safety reasons, always hire electricians for outlet repairs and rewiring.
- All microwaves must have an accessible 110- to 120-volt-minimum outlet nearby before installation from a home improvement store.
- Hardwiring is a dangerous alternative option not recommended for new microwave installs.
- Panel replacements prevent fire hazards, blown fuses, and overloaded circuits when upgrading to a microwave that uses more power.
- Building codes may require up to 3 ground-fault receptacles (GFCI outlets) in the kitchen, and a separate one for microwaves.
Modifying or installing additional cabinets
Modifying an existing cabinet for a built-in microwave costs $400 to $500 on average. Installing new custom kitchen cabinets costs$350 to $1,500 per linear foot for materials and labor. Cabinet installers charge $40 to $80 per hour on average.
Old microwave disposal
Old microwave disposal by a contractor costs $20 to $50 on average. Some appliance installers recycle old microwaves for free as part of microwave installation projects. Most locations prohibit throwing old appliances into garbage dumpsters.
Other microwave recycling options include:
- Local appliance recycling centers
- Take-back programs from the microwave's manufacturer
- Old appliance pickups from retailers like Best Buy, which cost $100 without replacement purchases
- Rebate programs from utility companies for old-yet-functional appliances
Who can install a microwave? And for how much?
A licensed handyman, general contractor, electrician, or appliance installer can install a microwave. A handyman charges $100 to $300 on average to install a microwave, and home improvement stores charge $100 to $400.
|Handyman or contractor||$100 – $300|
|Lowe’s||$120 – $150|
|Best Buy||$140 – $200|
|Sears||$150 – $160|
|Home Depot||$100 – $400|
Lowe’s microwave installation cost
Lowe’s microwave installation costs $120 to $150* when purchasing a new unit. Disposing of an old unit costs $30 per appliance. Lowe’s works with professional and independent installers. Installations come with a 1-year labor warranty. Lowe’s offers special financing options.
*Installers offer basic replacements with connections to existing utilities only.
Best Buy microwave installation cost
Best Buy microwave installation costs $140* to replace an old over-the-range microwave. Total costs when replacing the existing range hood are $200. Hauling away the old microwave costs $25 more. Best Buy has free delivery and unboxing with purchases of $399 or more.
*Installers will disconnect the old microwave, install the new one in the same place, and connect it to existing utilities only.
Sears microwave installation cost
Sears over-the-range microwave installation costs $150 to $160*, including delivery. Standalone delivery costs $65 to $80. Hauling away the old microwave costs $10 more. Sears works with licensed professional contractors. All installations come with a 1-year labor warranty.
*Contractors charge additional fees for upgrades to bring the microwave connections up to building codes.
Home Depot microwave installation cost
Over-the-range microwave installation from Home Depot costs $100 for replacements. Replacing an old range hood with an over-the-range microwave costs $400. Hauling away and disposing of the old microwave costs $25. Delivery costs $60* or is free with purchases over $400.
*Actual delivery fees will increase for longer-than-average distances.
DIY microwave installation
Experienced homeowners can replace an over-the-range microwave themselves. These heavy units can cause injury if not handled by two people. If the overhead microwave needs a new electrical circuit, ductwork, or cabinet customization to fit, hire an appliance installer.
Tips before installing
- Make sure the new microwave fits in the existing space.
- Since each type of microwave has a different design to suit different locations, always follow the microwave manufacturer’s specific installation and operation instructions.
- The typical distance is 15 to 30 inches from the top of the range to the microwave's bottom. Follow local building codes and the manufacturer’s directions to mount the microwave at the correct height.
- The blower motor in the new microwave should direct air upward for ceiling vents, backward for wall vents, or toward the front for ductless recirculating vents. Open up the back and reposition the motor if needed to vent air in the right direction.
- Always plug in and test a new microwave oven to make sure it works properly before installing it.
How to install a microwave over the stove
- Remove and disconnect the old microwave.
- Use a stud finder to find studs in the wall below the upper cabinet. Mark them.
- The new microwave box includes a template sheet to tape up against the wall where the replacement microwave will hang. Stick the sheet to the wall and mark out exactly where to drill the new holes in the top cabinet and wall.
- Drill the holes into studs where possible to support the mounting bracket.
- Insert butterfly fasteners through the wall, tighten, and install the mounting bracket.
- With a helper, position the microwave's bottom edges on top of the tabs on the mounting bracket.
- Feed the power cord from the microwave up through the hole into the top cabinet to plug it into an electrical outlet.
- Secure the top bolts through the upper cabinet shelf and screw them down into the microwave’s top connections.
- Additional step for ducted microwave vent systems only: Reconnect the vent outlet to the existing ductwork with new metal transition fittings and metal tape.
Frequently asked questions
How long does it take to install a microwave?
Professional microwave installation takes 1 to 3 hours on average. Additional microwave venting, wiring, and cabinet customizations take up to 6 hours to install. Mounting a microwave over the range typically requires two people.
Can any microwave go over the range?
Only microwaves with a built-in vent and exhaust-fan bottom can go over the range. Read the microwave specifications carefully before buying a new microwave for installation above a stove. In most states, stoves require overhead ventilation to remove potentially harmful fumes produced while cooking.
Does an over-the-range microwave require venting?
All over-the-range microwaves need ventilation ducts or recirculating vents with built-in fans and air filters. Venting ducted outside is ideal if the kitchen configuration allows it. Recirculating vents that recycle filtered air back into the kitchen are the least-efficient vents.
Hiring a microwave installation service
Free Installation On Over The Range Microwaves Installation
Before hiring a handyman or service to install a microwave, remember to:
- Look for pros with years of experience in microwave installations, repairs, and disposals.
- Compare estimates from at least 3 installers. Use the bids to negotiate with contractors when you get very high-priced estimates.
- Beware of cheap estimates for low-quality work.
- Check their reviews from earlier installations on HomeGuide, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and Google.
- Check their certifications. Training credentials may include:
- National Appliance Service Technician Certification (NASTeC)
- The Professional Service Association (PSA)
- Appliance Service Fundamentals (ASF) program
- EPA-technician certification
- or manufacturer-specific education
- Contact insured and bonded companies.
- Keep a copy of the contract and labor warranty.
- Request a detailed list of all fees involved.
Questions to ask
- What different installation options are available for this microwave?
- Will you dispose of the old microwave?
- Is disposal included in the estimate? If not, how much will it cost?
- How many microwaves have you installed, and which types?
- What are the local building code requirements for the distance from the stovetop to the bottom of an over-the-range microwave?
- To install a microwave in a new location, how much is your consultation fee to inspect my kitchen before installation?
- How should I prepare my kitchen before installation?
- Do you have a contractor’s license, insurance, and a construction surety bond?
- How have you handled damages that happened on the job?
- Which permits do I need, and will you obtain them?
- How long is your labor warranty, and what does it include?
- What is your payment schedule?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted microwave installers:
- Pray, Richard. '2020 National Construction Estimator.' (2020). PDF file.
- Russell, Jonathan. '2020 National Renovation & Insurance Repair Estimator.' (2020). PDF file.
- Hicks, Ray F. '2020 National Home Improvement Estimator.' (2020). PDF file.
- Praxton, Albert S. '2020 National Repair & Remodeling Estimator.' (2020). PDF file.
- Tyler, Mark C. '2020 National Electrical Estimator.' (2020). PDF file.
- Actual Project Costs Reported By 321 HomeGuide Members. (2021).
- Live chat representative at HomeDepot.com. Personal Communication. (2021).
- Live chat representative at Sears.com. Personal Communication. (2021).
- Robert Cates, Vent Tech. Personal Communication. (2021).
- Christopher Isaacs, C&J Installations. Personal Communication. (2021).
- Henrietta, Bud Matthews Services. Personal Communication. (2021).
- Howard's representative. Covina, CA branch Howard's store. Personal Communication. (2021).
- RCWilley representative. Murray, UT branch RC Willey Home Furnishings store. Personal Communication. (2021).
- Certified Installs representative. Murray, UT. Personal Communication. (2021).
- Over-the-range microwave installation (standard). (2020).
- Over-the-range microwave installation (replace range hood). (2020).
- Samsung. 'Microwave delivery checklist.' PDF file. (n.d.).
- How to replace an over-the-range microwave. (2020).
- Installing an over-the-range microwave oven. (n.d.).
- Replacing a microwave. (2019).
- Cost to install a microwave oven. (2020).
- Microwave install. (2018).
- Services. (2020).
- RR installation over-the-range microwave install. (2020).
- Services. (2020).
Sears Microwaves Over Range
Free Installation Over The Range Microwave
20+ Appliance Installers near you
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros: